This warming autumn soup is full of flavour and not too sweet, despite having butternut squash as the main ingredient
1/2 butternut squash
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 mild red chilli
50ml plant based milk (eg unsweetened almond, oat or soy)
1 vegetable stock pot
Plant based cream alternative or cashew nut cream
Method (Serves 2)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Place the butternut squash into a baking tray and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil
3. Roast for 30 minutes, turning half way through (check near end of cooking time to avoid the squash browning too much)
4. Meanwhile, add remaining oil to saucepan and put in the onion, garlic and chilli.
5. Stir to coat with oil and cook on the lowest heat, covered, for approx 15 minutes (check to make sure it doesn’t stick/burn)
6. Add the cooked butternut squash to saucepan, plus water and stock pot and heat up.
7. Blend with either a stick blender or put in high speed blender if you like a smoother consistency
8. Place back into pan, add the plant milk and heat up before serving.
9. To serve, add a swirl of cream alternative and sprinkle with chilli flakes