I love overnight oats – if you aren’t a morning person you will too! It is a great grab and go breakfast that is healthy and delicious. If you use a jar with a lid you can take it with you if there is no time for a leisurely breakfast.
The combination of juicy fresh cherries, cacao and vanilla tastes amazing. It also makes a great mid morning snack and satisfies any chocolate cravings.
As well as tasting good it is packed with nutritional benefits: fibre from the oats, chia seeds and cherries, protein, lots of vitamins and minerals and abundant in antioxidants. Enjoy!
- One cup oats (I use Tesco organic as I like the texture. If you are sensitive to gluten opt for gluten free oats)
- 1-1.25 cups unsweetened almond milk depending on whether you
- 1 heaped table spoon chia seeds
- 1 heaped table spoon of cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon of organic, fairtrade vanilla essence (health food shop or Tesco)
- Sweetener of choice (either blend 1-2 pitted Medjool dates with the almond milk or add maple syrup or honey to taste)
- Mason jar or similar
- Half a cup of pitted fresh cherries
If you are using Medjool dates to sweeten this, blend them with the almond milk before stirring together the oats, chia seeds, almond milk and vanilla essence in the mason jar. If you are using an alternative sweetener stir this in with the rest of the ingredients except the cherries.
Leave overnight in the fridge and stir in the cherries the following morning. I am always very sad when the cherry season is over. If I am missing this smoothie I substitute organic red grapes and blueberries for the cherries. It’s not quite as good – but it’s still tasty.